2013 Mission Statement: Through Scripture and the Sacraments to Grow our faith onto Selfless service of God and our neighbour 1 Thes. 1:3; John 4:24
Saint Leo’s Catholic Church, Ikeja, Lagos
What is now known as Saint Leo’s Catholic Church, Ikeja, Lagos started in 1949 when the
early worshippers commenced attendance at the Maryland Chapel in the compound of
the Maryland Teacher Training College, where Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School
is located today.
When the congregation grew larger, there was a need for a bigger space. Therefore, in the
early 1960s, Rev Fr.J.L. Morrison sought and obtained permission from the Commandant
of the Police College, Ikeja for the use of the Southern Police College, Ikeja for Sunday
But because other Christian associations were also permitted to use the same hall, on many occasion, Catholics had to celebrate Mass in the open field. The congregation therefore embarked on a search for a suitable land in Ikeja for their own use. While this was being done, worshippers relocated temporarily to Maryland in 1962. The Western Nigeria Housing Corporation offered a piece of land adjacent to the present location of Bishop Vinning Anglican Church, GRA, Ikeja. Rev. Fr. Morrison quietly refused the offer since the space was too small for future expansion.
Fortunately, Rev.Fr Dennis Joseph Slattery, founder of the famous Saint Finbarr’s College, College, Akoka, Lagos, agreed to hand over to the congregation a portion of land at Ikeja covering an area of 12.24 acres. On the 26th of June 1968, the sum of £9,000.00( Nine Thousand Pounds) was paid for the land, which was sold to Fr. Slattery by the Apena family.